A Brief History of Trenton High School
"The first high school was organized in Trenton by R. C. Norton on September 18, 1965, with twenty-three pupils. Professor Norton had conducted his school in the old district schoolhouse from 1863 to 1865, but when enrollment increased to twenty-three in that year, he organized the first hight school in the Bradley Building. But students kept coming until soon that building was outgrown and a larger one became necessary. In 1868 the number of pupils was 150, and the total cost for the year was $1480" (Denslow, 214).
"A high school building was erected in the year 1870, by W.H. Smith contractor, at a cost of $15,000, half in cash and half in school bonds. The building was located on what at the time was a 'gentle knoll' in the resident portion of the city, well located and convenient in all its appliances." The junior high building [Geyer Hall on NCMC campus] now occupies that spot. The building itself was of two-story brick construction, seventy feet square..." (Denslow, 216).
"An advertisement was carried in the papers of surrounding counties soliciting the attendance of students at two dollars a month for high school..."
"The present [next-Adams Building] high school building was completed at Trenton in 1924 at a total cost of $157,026. The year after its erection, the Trenton Junior College [NCMC] was established in this building as one of the pioneer junior colleges of the state" (Denslow, 218).
"This past school year has truly been a year of many 'firsts' for the Grundy R-IX school system. Many, but not all of these firsts were brought about by the occupancy of the new senior high school building for the first time. This move enabled the junior high to move into the old senior high building now called Adams Junior High School; and the Trenton Junior College to move into the old Central building [Geyer Hall]. The senior high school band played in a building of its own for the first time. The vocational agriculture and the industrial arts departments moved into greatly expanded facilities which broadened the scope of the work that they were able to do" (Alumni News, 1).